Dr. Greta Knigga-Daugherty, lecturer in Appalachian State University’s Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, uses American Sign Language to spell App State. Photos by Marie Freeman
Beaver College of Health Sciences — Statement on Inclusive Excellence
The Beaver College of Health Sciences is committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all of our students, faculty, staff and the communities we serve. As a college of health sciences, we strive to achieve an improved understanding of health disparities and available interventions to eliminate those disparities. We acknowledge that racism and social injustice are strong negative determinants of good health — both physically and mentally — and are antithetical to our values as a collegial body.
We aspire first and foremost to create an inclusive environment for student learning and professional development. Through our teaching, research, professional practice and daily interactions, we prioritize:
Inclusiveness as an essential component of a healthy environment.
Cultural sensitivity, awareness and humility as realistic, attainable goals.
Recognition of the value and intersectionality of each person as being critical to the achievement of inclusivity.
Creation of an inclusive environment as everyone’s responsibility.
Personal commitment and resources that are necessary to create and sustain an environment that fosters a culture of inclusiveness.
Equitable access to resources and opportunities to enhance academic achievement.
Acknowledgment of disparities related to race, ethnicity, class, gender identity and sexual orientation.
Our work is ongoing; we are all learners. The Beaver College of Health Sciences encourages an ongoing dialogue among students, faculty and staff about this commitment.
Meet the Beaver College of Health Sciences Inclusive Excellence Liaisons
- John Arrowood, Senior Lecturer, Nutrition and Foods email@example.com
- Jean Bernard, Associate Professor and Undergraduate Program Director, Nursing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Dalton, Associate Professor and Undergraduate Program Director, Communication Sciences and Disorders email@example.com
- Sarah Donovan, Senior Lecturer, Social Work firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Guggenheimer, Executive Director, Office of Advising & Academic Support email@example.com
- Christopher Seitz, Assistant Professor, Public Health firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ben Sibley, Professor, Program Director for Health, Physical Education and Coaching email@example.com
Meet the Beaver College of Health Sciences representatives on the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning for Student Success Inclusive Excellence Team
- Laurie Rivera, Senior Lecturer, Athletic Training firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Theriault, Assistant Professor, Recreation Management and Physical Education email@example.com